On Black Friday, Stanford, UCLA, North Carolina, and Washington State punched their golden tickets to this year’s College Cup. Stanford and UCLA cruised to victories over BYU and Florida State, respectively, while North Carolina survived a 3:2 back-and-forth match over USC, and Washington State needed a golden goal to vanquish South Carolina.
Thus, Friday’s (December 6th) College Cup semifinal match-ups will be:
- North Carolina vs. Washington State – 7:00 p.m. EST
- Stanford vs. UCLA – 9:30 p.m. EST
Both matches will be televised live on ESPNU, as will the Championship match, which is scheduled for Sunday, December 8th, at 8:30 p.m. EST.
Read on for brief recaps and video highlights of all the quarterfinal goals…
Continue reading “2019 NCAA D1 Championship: Quarterfinal Highlights”
A quick round-up of the available highlights for the “Sweet Sixteen” Third Round matches in the 2019 NCAA Division I Women’s Soccer Championship.
Matches are in chronological order:
- #2 BYU blanks NC State 3-nil
- #1 Florida State with a 2:1 comeback win over South Florida, Castellanos with the game-winner
- #1 North Carolina dominates Michigan 4-nil
- #2 South Carolina gets past Kansas 2-nil
- #1 Stanford scores twice on #4 Penn State, off Macario and Doms goals
- #2 Southern California slips past Santa Clara 1-nil
- Washington State defeats West Virginia 3-nil
- #2 UCLA takes out #3 Wisconsin; Fishel and Villacorta score
Continue reading “2019 NCAA D1 Championship: Sweet Sixteen Highlights”
A quick round-up of available highlights for other Second Round matches in this year’s NCAA Division I Women’s Soccer Championship.
In this post:
- Stanford blanks Hofstra 4-nil; Macario (2x), Haley, and Smith score
- BYU defeats Louisville 4-nil
- UCLA dominates Clemson 5-nil
- North Carolina survives Colorado via an Alessia Russo strike
- Southern California defeats Texas Tech 2:1, Watt, Hocking, and McKeown score
- Florida State fends off Brown, 2-nil; McFarland with another brace
- Wisconsin gets past Duke, 1-nil
- South Carolina advances 1-nil over Notre Dame
- Kansas, via a Katie McClure hat-trick, defeat Xavier
For other Second Round Highlights, see: 2019 NCAA D1 Championship: Second Round Highlights – Upsets and Golden Goals. Continue reading “2019 NCAA D1 Championship: Second Round Highlights – Part 2”
A quick round-up of available highlights for the most notable Second Round matches of this year’s NCAA Division I Women’s Soccer Championship.
In this post:
- #1 seed Virginia is upset by Washington State
- #4 seed Penn State survives Arizona via a Tagliaferri golden goal
- West Virginia needed a golden goal to get pass Central Connecticut State
- Michigan upsets #4 seed Texas Tech
- Carolyne Viens and South Florida take down #4 seed Washington
- Santa Clara defeats #3 seed Oklahoma State
- NC State knocks out #3 seed Arkansas
For Second Round highlights of the remaining nine matches, see 2019 NCAA D1 Championship: Second Round Highlights – Part 2. Continue reading “2019 NCAA D1 Championship: Second Round Highlights – Upsets and Golden Goals”
(Updated 23-Nov-2019) The NCAA Division I Women’s Soccer Championship continues this week with a total of 24 matches being played from Thursday, November 21st to Sunday, November 24th, as the tournament field is whittled down from 32 teams to just 8.
Unlike the First Round matches, which were each hosted by one of the teams involved, Second Round matches are paired off based on the tournament bracket and hosted by one of the four teams involved. Third Round matches, between the winners of each paired Second Round match, are also played at the same site.
All Second Round matches and most Third Round matches have confirmed live streams and/or television broadcasts scheduled. (As of when the article was published. Updates are shown in green.)
Continue reading “NCAA D1 Tournament: 2019 Second and Third Rounds Match Schedule”
Over the weekend, 32 first round matches in the 2019 NCAA Division I Women’s Soccer Championship. The following is a quick run-through of results for notable teams as well as noteworthy upsets. (Did I mention that there were 32 matches played over 3 days?)
Several USA youth internationals and players already with senior USWNT caps and/or call-ups had noteworthy offensive performances, including:
- Sophia Smith (Stanford, eligible for 2020 U-20 WWC): 3 goals, 2 assists versus Prairie View A&M
- 2018 U-20 USWNT’er Penelope Hocking (USC): 4 goals against Cal. State Fullerton
- UNC’s Emily Fox (USWNT capped) scored once against Belmont and had two assists
Two members of Canada’s 2016 Olympic Bronze Medal winning squad scored goals in the weekend’s matches:
- Senior Jessie Fleming, netted the opening goal for UCLA in their 4:1 victory over Lamar University
- Junior Deanne Rose scored a consolation goal in Florida’s 2:4 loss to South Florida (USF)
Continue reading “NCAA D1 Tournament: Notable 2019 First Round Results and Highlights”
The NCAA Division I Women’s Soccer Championship kicks off today, Friday, November 15th, with 18 of the 32 First Round matches. On Saturday, 13 additional matches will be played, while just one lone match is scheduled for Sunday.
Almost all first round matches will be streamed live through various services, although most matches will either require an underlying cable or satellite subscription or a separate subscription to a digital-only service. However, some matches should be free, including all matches hosted by Pac-12 teams, as well as Santa Clara and West Virginia.
Continue reading “NCAA D1 Tournament: 2019 First Round Match Schedule”
With the NCAA Division I Women’s Soccer Tournament right around the corner, today is the last day to earn a spot in the 64-team bracket. Of those 64 slots, 31 are automatic qualifiers, with most of those automatic slots being decided via conference championships. The bracket for the NCAA tournament will be announced on Monday afternoon. Continue reading “NCAA: Conference Championship Sunday Schedule (2019)”