On Friday, U.S. Soccer announced the Under-16 United States Girls’ National Team roster for this month’s Under-16 UEFA Development Tournament that will be hosted by England. During the tournament the USA will also play their counterparts from Spain and Denmark.
All players called up for this trip were on the January’s camp 28-player roster.
Leading the U-16 USGNT will once again be Katie Schoepfer, who oversaw last month’s camp. Assisting Schoepfer will be USWNT alumna Jen Lalor, who was a member of the USA’s 1995 Women’s World Cup squad and later played in the WUSA. Continue reading “U-16 USGNT: Roster For UEFA Development Tournament in England Announced”
- 05-Feb-2020: U-17 USWNT – Added details for CONCACAF Women’s Under-17 Championship
- 11-Feb-2020: U-23 USWNT – Added details for Portland Thorns Spring Invitational
- 17-Feb-2020: Minor updates/clarifications
- 02-Mar-2020: Added March U-15 USGNT camp entry
- 13-MAR-2020: U.S. SOCCER HAS CANCELLED MOST YNT CAMPS THROUGH THE END OF APRIL, DUE TO COVID-19 CONCERNS. (U.S. SOCCER)
- NO NEWS ABOUT THE CONCACAF WOMEN’S UNDER-17 CHAMPIONSHIP, WHICH IS SCHEDULED TO START ON APRIL 18TH IN MEXICO.
While U.S. Soccer’s dysfunctional website* does not often include much information about future youth team camps and/or matches, that is not the case with a number of other associations’ websites. In addition, youth USWNTs regular participate in annual friendly tournaments at the La Manga Club in Spain, which regularly publishes online its upcoming schedule of hosted matches.
*A subject for a future post. Or three…
So, after much browsing and searching…
…Here are some things that were news to me:
- Confirmation that a USA team is scheduled to participate in the April U-23 WNT friendly tournament at La Manga Club in Spain.
- News that the USA will be sending a GNT to the annual soccer tournament in Montaigu, France. The USA will be in a four-team U-16 GNT mini-tournament with France, Japan, and Norway.
- A June U-15 USGNT camp or trip involving the U-15 GNTs of Germany and the Netherlands.
- The host and dates of this year’s U-23 WNT Nordic Tournament: Norway, September 14th to the 22nd. (USA participation not confirmed.)
- Also, the CONCACAF Women’s Under-20 Championship, which was originally scheduled to start on Saturday, February 15th, was quietly pushed back to February 22nd.
(Update 02-Feb-2020): Clarified the descriptions of the U-14 events.
In addition, a U-14 Girls identification regional mini-camp roster with dates for two more regional mini-camps plus a
normal national U-14 USGNT identification camp was published on Thursday, which gives a good picture of what that age group is doing up through late May.
Continue reading “Youth USWNTs: 2020 Calendar Update – Camps, Trips, and Tournaments”
The Under-16 United States Girls’ National Team is holding its first camp of 2020. That, in itself, is news. Last year, the U-16 USGNT held its first (and only published) camp in June 2019. This camp, which runs from Friday, January 24th to Wednesday, January 29th, features a roster of 28 players, mostly from the 2004 birth year, with two 2005’s. Continue reading “U-16 USGNT: 28 Players Called Up For First Camp of 2020”
After another disappointing FIFA Under-17 Women’s World Cup performance in 2018, which saw the United States fail to make the knock-out stage (again), while fellow CONCACAF rivals Mexico and Canada both made the semifinals, the quest to claim the only FIFA women’s trophy not yet won by the USA was renewed this spring.
For this cycle, Tracey Kevins takes over the U-17 United States Women’s National Team head coaching reigns from fellow England-native Mark Carr, who is now the head coach for the U-20 USWNT. Previously, Kevins was the head coach for the U-15 Girls’ National Team last cycle (2017-18), so she is already very familiar with the 2003 birth year pool.
Read on for details about the players called in so far, friendly matches played so far, and what lays ahead for the U-17 USWNT.
Continue reading “The 2020 U-17 USWNT Cycle: A First In-Depth Look (September 2019)”